Roasted Tomato and Sausage Pasta
The secret to this sauce is roasting the tomatoes and vegetables to bring out the sweetness and cut the acidity.
Roasted Tomato and Sausage PastaRecipe courtesy of Preferred Sonoma Caterers
4 lbs Roma tomatoes - very ripe
8 oz carrots, peeled and chunked
1/4 cup peeled garlic
8 oz diced yellow onions
1/2 cup olive oil (approx.)
1 lbs Italian sausage
1tsp fennel seeds
2 Tbsp olive oil
1. Place tomatoes in a deep roasting pan, prick skins, and drizzle lightly with olive oil.
2. Wrap carrots, garlic and onion in a foil pouch with ¼ cup of olive oil, and seal edges.
3. Heat oven to 450 degrees and place tomatoes and vegetables in the oven and bake for 1 hour. The tomatoes skins should be blistered and broken, vegetables should be very soft, almost the consistency of a puree.
4. Allow to cool, then remove the skins from the tomatoes
5. Place the following ingredients in blender set to puree: Italian sausage, fennel seeds and 2 tablespoons of olive oil
6. Pre-heat the oil in a heavy pan, then add the fennel seeds, toss to toast.
7. Add Italian sausage, brown and breaking up. You want to leave some bite size chunks.
8. If the is a lot of fat drain half of it.
9. Add tomato puree, and simmer 10 to 15 minutes to reduce
10. Serve over your favorite pasta
Note: if the tomatoes are under ripe, then add 1 to 2 tablespoons of honey to counteract acidity.
Pair with Meritage 202.