Spicy Calabrian Sausage stuffed Mushroom Caps
Recipe courtesy of Katy Long
1 package (8 ounces) of crimini or baby portabella mushrooms
3 each Calabrian Sausage links, casing removed (can substitute with sausage of your choice: Italian, Breakfast, etc.)
½ white onion, minced
½ cup dry breadcrumbs
¼ cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese, plus approximately 2 Tablespoons for sprinkling on top.
1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
Salt, Pepper and olive oil as needed.
1. Wash mushrooms and remove stems from the caps.
2. For the caps: optional step – To ensure that they do not move around (or dump their contents out during baking) cut a small flap from the top of each cap creating a flat surface to rest on (with the gill side facing up). Season caps on both sides with salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil and arrange them on a foil or parchment lined baking sheet.
3. Chop the mushroom stems finely and put them into a large mixing bowl.
4. To the large bowl add sausage (which has been removed from the casing), minced onion, dried breadcrumbs, grated cheese and chopped parsley. Mix with your hands or a spoon until roughly combined (don’t over mix). Add the egg and mix until combined.
5. Stuff each mushroom cap with a dollop of the sausage filling mixture, pressing firmly into the cap so it will stay put during baking.
6. Sprinkle cheese over each stuffed mushroom cap.
7. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes or until the sausage is fully cooked and the caps are beginning to turn golden brown.
Kunde Family Estate Red Dirt Red