Eggplant and Polenta Parmigiana
"While I am a firm believer that Eggplant makes a beautiful decoration in my kitchen (instead of a veggie on my dinner table!), this is a truly easy and yummy recipe using this versatile vegetable. Polenta on top gives it great texture as well. This scrumptious recipe is gleaned from my mother in law, Andrea." - Marcia Kunde Mickelson
- 1 large (1 1/2 lb) eggplant, cut lengthwise in 8 slices
- Nonstick spray
- 3 cups bottled marinara sauce
- 8 oz part-skim mozzarella, shredded (2 cups)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tube (18 oz) ready-to-heat polenta, cut in 20 slices
- Heat oven to 450°F. Coat eggplant slices with nonstick spray, spread on a large baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until tender. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F.
- Place 4 eggplant slices in the bottom of a 13 x 9-in baking dish. Spread with 1 cup sauce; sprinkle with 2/3 cup mozzarella and 1 tbsp parmesan cheese. Repeat once. Top with polenta slices, remaining sauce and cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until bubbly and cheese melts.
Total Recipe Time: 50 minutes
Kunde Family Winery Merlot