Hawaiian Short Ribs with Slaw and Rice
So easy to make and savory to eat.
- 3 lbs Hawaiian cut short ribs - (flanken style - ask your butcher to cut them if you can’t find them)
Marinade for Ribs
- 1 shallot - chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 T ginger
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup citrus juice (lime, lemon or orange juice)
- 3 T toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 - 1 tsp asian chili sauce
Put all ingredients in blender. Pour marinade over short ribs and marinate for 2-4 hours.
- 5 cups Napa cabbage - thinly shredded
- 1 cup red pepper - thinly sliced
- 1 cup carrot - thinly sliced
- 2 scallions - thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup cilantro - chopped
- 2 T sesame seeds - garnish
Prepare the vegetables for the Asian Slaw and toss together. Set aside.
- 3 T neutral oil
- 1 T toasted sesame oil
- 2 T rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 T soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove - minced
- 1/2 tsp chili sauce
- 1 T lime juice
Whisk all dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Drizzle over cabbage and toss.
- 1 red onion - thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove - halved
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 T sugar
- 1 tsp salt
Combine all ingredients in a jar, shake and set aside for 20 minutes. Refrigerate until use.
Oil grates and heat grill on high heat and lower heat if necessary. Place ribs on grill, if too hot reduce to medium high. Cook 4-6 minutes per side until done. Rest for 5 minutes. Using culinary scissors, cut each rib into three pieces off the bone. Serve the meat with slaw, cooked rice, and pickled onion in lettuce cups. If you like, finish with a korean sauce called gochujang and sesame seeds.
Kunde Family Winery Zinfandel