Ramen Noodles with Beef and Vegetables
- 3/4 pound flank, skirt, or flat iron steak
- Ramen noodles - fresh or dry 10-12 oz - prepare according to directions. If possible to find, fresh are better.
- 2 - 6 minute eggs - halved (add richness and depth to the broth when mixed in - optional)
- Olive Oil
- 2 shallots - sliced
- 1 bunch of broccolini - trimmed and chopped
- 6 oz snap peas - cleaned and halved
- 3 scallions - thinly sliced (keep white ends separate from green)
- 4 T pickled ginger - garnish
- Sesame seeds - garnish
Marinade for Meat:
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- Salt and pepper
- Place the meat in a bowl and marinate for an hour while making the broth.
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 inch piece peeled ginger - sliced into 3 pieces
- 2 garlic cloves - crushed
- 1-2 tsp chili paste - depending on your taste
- 2 T soy sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 piece of kombu - optional
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup miso - any type
- 2 T toasted sesame oil
Prepare the broth first. Place all broth ingredients - except miso and sesame oil - in a large stock pot and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes, strain out ginger, garlic and kombu. Stir in miso and toasted sesame oil, taste and adjust miso or other seasoning if needed. Cover until ready to use.
Sear meat on a hot grill or in a grill pan until desired doneness. Let sit to rest, then thinly slice against grain. While meat is cooking prepare ramen noodles and 6 minutes eggs - if using.
In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat - add shallots, cook for 2 minutes. Add broccolini, cook for about 3 minutes. Add the snap peas and white parts of scallions and cook a few more minutes. Remove from heat. Prepare 4 large bowls - place noodles in each bowl, a ladle of broth, veggie mixture, meat, half an egg and garnish with pickled ginger, sesame seeds and remaining scallions.
Kunde Family Winery Merlot