Caramelized Onion & Mushroom Lasagna with Béchamel Sauce
A meatless version of lasagna that is so satisfying you won't miss the meat.
- Olive oil
- 3 yellow onions – halved and sliced thinly
- Salt and pepper
- 3-4 sprigs of thyme
- 4 T butter
- 2 lbs mixed mushrooms – sliced (shiitake, brown button, mixed medley)
- 2 garlic cloves – sliced
- 1 bunch swiss chard – ribs removed, chopped
- 1/2 oz dried porcini mushrooms – soaked in 1/2 cup hot water, reserve liquid
- 3/4 lb Italian Fontina cheese – grated
- 1 cup parmesan – grated
- 1 package “no boil” lasagna noodles –soak in hot water for 15 minutes and drain
- 3 T butter
- 3 T flour
- 1/3 cup mushroom liquid
- 3 cups milk – room temperature
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- In large sauté pan over medium-low heat, add 2-3 T olive oil, sliced onions, salt and pepper to taste. Add fresh thyme, stir and cook for 10-15 minutes until browned and caramelized. Set aside. In large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add 2 T olive oil, 2 T butter and 1/2 the sliced mushrooms along with the garlic. Cook and stir until mushrooms are soft. Set aside. Repeat with remaining mushrooms adding olive oil and butter as needed. Next, sauté swiss chard with olive oil until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Combine onions, mushrooms, swiss chard and set aside.
- For béchamel sauce, melt butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add flour and cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Add mushroom liquid from dried mushrooms. Stir quickly then slowly whisk in milk. Continue to cook and stir until somewhat thickened, 10-15 minutes. Add nutmeg.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Assemble lasagna in a 9 x 13 inch dish. Scoop a 1/2 cup béchamel sauce and pour on bottom of pan. Next lay 4 noodles (no overlap), add another 1/2 to 3/4 cup of sauce and spread over noodles in a thin layer. Add 2 large spoonfuls of mushroom, onion and chard mixture, distributing evenly over sauce. Sprinkle 1/4 cup parmesan and 1 cup of fontina cheese. Repeat the process 3 more times and finish with cheese on top. Cover with parchment, then foil, and bake for 30-35 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 more minutes. Let rest before serving. Serves 6-8.
Kunde Family Winery Merlot