Thai Beef Salad
- 1.5 pound Flat Iron Steak
- 4-5 cups Napa cabbage - thinly sliced
- 2-3 scallions - thinly sliced
- 3 persian cucumbers - sliced
- 1 red pepper - cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup cilantro, mint, basil and chives - chopped
- Mango - peeled and sliced - optional
- 1 avocado - sliced
- 1 cup peanuts - lightly chopped - garnish
- 1/3 cup toasted coconut flakes or chips - garnish
Marinade and Dressing
- 1 shallot - quartered
- 1 T brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 T lemon grass - chopped
- 1/4 cup neutral oil - grape seed, avocado, or other
- 3 T soy sauce
- 2 T lime juice
- 1 T lime zest
- 2 T fish sauce
- 1 inch piece of jalapeño - seeded
- Place all the marinade ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth.
- Place steak in a glass baking dish - add a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper and cover with 1/3 cup marinade. Turn over a few times to coat both sides of meat. Cover and let marinate on the counter while preparing the salad ingredients. Pour the remaining marinade in a glass measuring cup and whisk in a few more tablespoons of oil, adjust to desired taste. This will be the dressing for the salad.
- In a large bowl toss together the cabbage, scallions, cucumbers, red pepper, herbs and mango if using. Place avocado on a plate to arrange just before serving. Set aside the peanuts and toasted coconut for garnish.
- Heat grill or grill-pan on medium high heat. Oil grates or pan and grill 6-8 minutes per side to desired doneness. Let rest before slicing against the grain into thin slices.
- To serve - Place salad on a serving platter. Arrange sliced steak on top followed by the avocado and mango. Drizzle with some of the dressing and garnish with the peanuts and coconut. Serve the remaining dressing on the side. Serves 4.
Kunde Family Winery Chardonnay and/or 5th Gen Blend